Vivante Introduces New OpenGL ES 3.0 IP Core
Dec 21, 2012 (Close-Up Media via COMTEX) --
Vivante Corp., a company focusing on graphics and compute technologies, announced another update in its multi-core GPU IP family: a GPU core designed to support the Khronos Group's OpenGL ES 3.0 API based on the GC880 IP leveraging the same ScalarMorphic technology of Vivante's multi-core ultra-threaded GPU cores.
According to a release, this core is in mass production powering multiple customer silicon products used in mobile, automotive, IPTV, and other embedded and Internet enabled devices.
Vivante said GC880 brings OpenGL ES 3.0 to silicon cost sensitive and power-constrained designs in a compact 3.5mm2 final silicon footprint, including all recommended cache memories, using TSMC's 40nm LP process. Inside the GC880 and all other GC (Graphics and Compute) cores is the latest smart grid power reduction technology and optimized multi-functional unified shader pipelines that support the latest 3D and compute APIs. Smart grid brings the most aggressive fine grained power management that maximizes battery life for all day, on the go use. ScalarMorphic unified shaders are designed as the basic building blocks optimized for multi-core, multi-GPU designs that scale from dual/quad to eight GPU units.
"Using OpenGL ES 3.0 allows more of the user interface to visually react to input in ways which were previously too expensive in OpenGL ES 2.0 hardware. These new capabilities translate into a more engaging experience for application developers who are building NUI applications. We look forward to enabling Vivante's full range of OpenGL ES 3.0 solutions on our latest NUI platforms," said Stuart Russell CTO of YOUilabs.
"OEMs and the application ecosystem are quickly driving OpenGL ES 3.0 into the mainstream to take advantage of new features like instanced rendering, dynamic vertices/textures for sub-frame objects, high precision formats for quality, multiple render targets, and OpenCL interoperability. Our GPU design encompasses requirements from our software and platform ecosystem to support leading applications across all market segments from silicon limited configurations to immersive 3D gaming and vision processing," said Wei-Jin Dai, CEO of Vivante Corp.
Vivante noted that it offers a set of GPU IP solutions for applications in the mobile, consumer, automotive, embedded, real time/mission critical and home entertainment markets. With support of its customers and partners, the Company has expanded its IP licensing business over the last four years.
Vivante's product portfolio includes technologies in 3D, 2D/Composition Processors, GPGPU, and vector graphics. Vivante cores offer support in a unified driver architecture for application programming interfaces like OpenGL ES 3.0/2.0, desktop OpenGL, OpenCL, OpenVG, Microsoft DirectX 11, DirectFB, BLTsville, XWindows, Google Renderscript Compute, and other standard APIs.
New features built into its latest GPU solutions, as described by the Company, include:
- Smallest Licensable OpenGL ES 3.0 GPU Core: 3.5 mm2 total silicon footprint in TSMC 40nm LP process for area sensitive designs. Cores can be optionally configured with an integrated Composition Processing Core (CPC) which seamlessly accelerates OS level composition tasks at a fraction of the power with only a 10 percent GPU silicon area increase.
- Single/Dual/Quad/Eight GPU Configurations : ScalarMorphic cores range from highly silicon optimized single GPU solutions to performance optimized multi-GPU solutions, all with performance and available hardware support for security and OS virtualization
- Single Software Stack: Single unified software stack supports all Vivante cores across the full range of graphics and compute APIs, features, and performance levels
- Battery Saving Innovations : Extreme low power microarchitecture and smart grid technologies for mW per MHz/GHz and dynamic power control
- Memory Efficient : Memory bandwidth modulation optimized for contemporary vertex intensive applications and pixel rich displays including support for the latest compression standards in OpenGL ES 3.0 and optionally the recently announced Khronos ASTC Adaptive Scalable Texture Compression extension
- Heterogeneous Platform Architecture : GC cores designed for hybrid computing systems like HSA using AMBA ACE-Lite (CPU GPU cache coherency) and the latest Stream Interface
((Comments on this story may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org))
[ Cable Spotlight's Homepage ]